Topics dealing with African-American participation in the Antebellum North Carolina and American Civil War are available to groups and organizations throughout North Carolina. These topics will be given in conjunction on how to use particular records in the State Archives of North Carolina to perform genealogical research on African-American soldiers and civilians with an emphasis on the strengths and weakness of surviving types of records. (Time: 1.5 hour EST.) Handouts provided.
Topics (and speakers) Available:
- African-American Civil War Research In the North Carolina Archives (William H. Brown & Chris Meekins)
- Confederate Pension Series (Chris Meekins)
- Emancipation Proclamation (Chris Meekins)
- Slave Laws and Legislation (William H. Brown)
- United States Colored Troops (Chris Meekins)
For related topics, see also: https://civilwar150nc.wordpress.com/tag/african-americans/